Tuesday, 18 December 2012

Adapting to Endometriosis - The Diet

I love food. Love it. Cake, pasta, chocolate, chips, coleslaw, the list is endless - all the healthy stuff! So when I was diagnosed with Endometriosis, and was told that changing my diet could help, I wasn't exactly jumping for joy.

So here's the deal, cut out or reduce -

  • Wheat - this includes cakes, bread, pasta (all the good stuff)
  • Gluten
  • Red meat
  • Caffeine - (I probably drink an average of 8 cups of tea per day, which I know is a little excessive)
  • Chocolate (Chocolate?! who doesn't eat chocolate?!)
  • Dairy (including milk, cheese, and butter)
  • Eggs
  • Fried foods
  • Alcohol

I've certainly cut down my alcohol intake over the past few months having hardly left the house, which in turn has cut down fried food at the end of a good night out!
In reality, it is not as hard as it seems, Chicken, fish, salads and vegetables are all good (although apparently organic is better for me due to the toxins in non organic food), and if imagination is used could actually be quite tasty. But I do think I will struggle to cut out caffeine, chocolate and dairy. In fact, I think its safe to say that's just not going to happen, unless things get a lot worse.

So today I went out to lunch with my friend Dave (@atypicaldave - give him a follow). I had the best intentions, but looking down the menu, I was extremely limited. Pasta was a no no, pizza was a no no, burger was a no no, so I opted for a chicken wrap (which is a no no but I figured it was probably the lesser of the evils staring back at me from the menu). Once that was down, it came to dessert. I ordered cinnamon waffle and icecream (ooops - dairy, eggs, wheat and goodness knows what else)
All in all, going out with the best intentions I must say, it was a massive fail, but it was yummy!

I will definitely try to adapt my lifestyle and eating habits to try and help the symptoms of Endometriosis, but I guess it's not just going to happen over night.  I'm eating a pot of coleslaw whilst sat here typing this (ooops again).

If any endo girls are reading this and have any tips for meals or recipes - your comments would be hugely appreciated. I haven't worked out how to respond to any comments on this thing yet, I promise I am reading them though! Follow me on Twitter @kirstyfiskk it really has been a great help talking to girls going through this, and I hope hearing my story has helped spread awareness too.


  1. I feel your pain! It's so hard to stick to that sometimes when all you're craving is pancakes or pizza! I try to manage it by letting myself have some as a treat every so often. It's kinda like that 80/20 rule. If I just try and stick to it 80% of the time, and go easy on myself the other 20% of the time. It seems to be working. I've also noticed that I have an immediate reaction if I have wheat, so that makes it easier to cut out...

  2. I am just starting- I hope it's worth it. How are you making out now?